“I can’t dance,” you cry, as you refresh TikTok for the umpteenth time today.
That’s okay. We can’t dance either! But we promise you can implement video into your social media strategy without being able to dance like Charlie D’Amelio (if you know, you know).
Social media is continuously changing the way we communicate and consume information. Tiktok has taken over the internet in the past two years, with over 689 million monthly users worldwide. Instagram is following suit, announcing back in July that they would be prioritizing videos over photo content.
No matter how you rate your Insta-reel game, videos are here to stay, so it’s time to get on board! Here’s how you can make the most of implementing video into your social media strategy.
You know the saying, walk before you run? It’s sage advice! Working on small, short videos for social media is a great way to dip your toes into the video water, especially if it feels intimidating to you. Here are a few tips on ways to get comfortable either behind or in front of the camera:
- Try videoing content where you don’t speak so it’s less pressure! Utilizing the music feature on Instagram or TikTok adds some fun to the video, or adding a textbox to give it context is a great way to deliver your message.
- Dive into Canva. This helpful app has templates that add animation to your photos turning them into video in a fresh, simple way.
- If you’re feeling more adventurous, why not kick it up a notch? Hopping on an easy TikTok or Instagram reels trend, something that isn’t very complicated like the “This or That” or “Recap of the Month” trend. Tiktok and Youtube are filled with tutorials with step-by-step instructions that can walk you through.
Other TikTok or Reel ideas that may suit your brand could be:
- Going behind the scenes. What does a day in the life at your job look like? What are some fun facts that people may enjoy knowing? Sharing behind-the-scenes footage on the job not only draws in potential customers but future employees who may be checking out your business.
- Answering FAQ. Are there questions about your services that come up again and again? Video is a quick, easy and fun way to relay that information to clients.
- Introducing your staff. Gone are the days of the faceless brand. There are even a number of sound options on reels that provide question prompts to help others really get to know you
When you think of businesses with a strong social media presence, who comes to mind? What is it about their brand that catches your eye? It’s important to take note of what and whose content you enjoy watching, especially those in the same industry, and let it inspire you as you create!
Don’t be afraid to follow businesses and brands from near or far that are in your industry. If you’re in retail, JEMS Boutique is crushing the Insta-game. Need some fresh ideas for your restaurant? The team for the Murphy Hospitality Group restaurants are top-notch. And if you’re in the tourism sector, Mill River Resorts socials are full of inviting content. That’s just to name a few!
We’re not saying to copy anyone, but we are reminding you that there’s no need to reinvent the wheel. Borrow ideas, just make it your own!
WHEN IN DOUBT, CONTRACT OUT
As you might know, high-quality products and services are important. Why accept any less for your video production? Investing in a professional for promotional content can take your social media game to the next level and make you stand out from competitors. Plus, contracting out will save you hours of time and effort on recording and editing.
Professional video can be an option for you even if you don’t have a massive budget. We here at Volume18 work side-by-side with Confound Films to meet our client’s commercial needs, however Island wide there are many talented videographers that range in price for every budget. The goal is to find someone who understands what it takes to tell a good story and tell YOUR story with that in mind. If you do have the budget for a professional, consider getting multiple shorter videos instead of a longer 1-2 minute piece. A 12 – 10 second video showcasing your different products or services can often go a lot further when it comes to sharing on social media.
Let’s face it: you have a team to manage and a business to run. You’re busy! While there’s a time and place for smart-phone captured content (see above), the right video production company will do the legwork to make you look good when it matters.
We get it, video can be scary – especially when you’re new to it! But between TikTok, Instagram, Youtube, and even Facebook, there’s no denying that the importance of video for your business is here to stay. Instead of shying away from this trend, why not lean into it? Maybe this is your year to roll up your sleeves, hit that record button and have some fun!